FCA Powertrain Testing organization is seeking a Powertrain Test Instrumentation Engineer as a part of the Powertrain team at the FCA Technical Center in Auburn Hills.
This position's duties include the design responsibilities (electrical and some mechanical) of interfacing various engine and transmission electrical/electronic modules and components to dynamometer control and data acquisition systems. Other responsibilities would be overseeing the build of such interface harnesses and sub-harnesses (prototype & multi-builds); coordinating the installation, verifying operation, troubleshooting issues and ensuring corrective actions.
The candidate will be required to: understand how to make an engine/transmission operational as a subset of a total vehicle setup; establish a network of Product Development Engineers to provide required module/component specifications from electrical, mechanical and communication, e.g. CAN and LIN Bus data; work with and direct technicians and mechanics. The candidate will also need to document designs via CAD.
The candidate will need to be able to respond quickly to issues and be engaged in multiple issues simultaneously with the goal of minimizing facility down time.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Electrical, Mechanical, Automotive, Aeronautical Engineering
- 5 years engineering experience
- Strong background and hands on experience in wiring requirements such as current, voltage, electrical noise mitigation (proper grounding, shielding, twisted wiring)
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- Able to guide the technician/mechanic workforce with work orders and direction for repairing and modifying wiring harnesses and test cell issues operations
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with a strong electrical background
- Experience in automotive and instrumentation wiring along with experience with data acquisition systems and dynamometer operations.
- Experience with wiring and operation of hybrid powertrain system