The Gasoline Engine Drivability & Emissions Calibration Engineer is responsible for developing, testing, and validating vehicle-based calibrations that achieve world-class fuel economy and drivability meeting current and future emission standards. The engineer will plan, generate, and verify feature calibrations in hot climate, cold climate, and high altitude in accordance with powertrain system functional objectives along with generating reports to communicate the status of the program to the larger team. The candidate will manipulate and utilize large and complex sets of engine mapping data to analyze and solve complex system problems as they relate to engine performance, fuel consumption, emissions, OBD, and base engine calibration development. The candidate will work cross functionally with engine development, powertrain controls and vehicle teams to identify and implement calibration solutions that achieve program drivability and emissions requirements. The candidate should expect to travel 4-6 weeks throughout the year for system validation/verification.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or equivalent Engineering degree
- Minimum of 5 years prior vehicle calibration experience of spark ignition engines
- Fundamental knowledge of internal combustion engines and powertrain calibration
- Working knowledge of calibration tools (INCA /ATI), emissions regulations, and powertrain technologies.
- Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including PowerPoint presentations to upper management
- Master of Science in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in engine development, powertrain systems development /engine calibration /control systems development / diagnostics within the automotive industry
- Calibration process knowledge using design of experiments and advanced optimization techniques
- Proficient in advanced simulation tools
- Proficient in Matlab / Simulink