The Advanced Emissions System Engineer will be responsible for developing emissions systems to meet future emissions standards (e.g. TIER3, California LEV III, EURO6C, etc.) for future powertrain applications. Development activities will focus on catalyst technologies (including gasoline particulate filters), exhaust sensor technologies, calibration strategies and integration of these technologies into the powertrain system (including control functional requirements).
The Advanced Emissions System Engineer will demonstrate proof-of-concept solutions to prove Powertrain functional objectives are satisfied. Projects will utilize engine, powertrain, vehicle chassis dynamometers and/or simulation/modeling to make physics-based decisions.
The Advanced Emissions System Engineer will have the following responsibilities:
- Develop emissions systems solutions for future high efficiency powertrains including: system trade-offs for cost, performance, complexity, etc., while meeting all quality and regulatory requirements
- Investigate new innovative emissions system technologies such as advance catalysts (GPF, HC Traps, EHCs, etc.) and advanced exhaust sensors (PM, WRO2,Temperature, Pressure, etc.)
- Develop calibrations and strategies to improve overall emissions system performance
- Define and direct multiple externally based technology development projects at both suppliers and/or universities to meet emissions system critical needs
- Ensure proper integration of emissions system components such as advanced catalysts and exhaust sensor technologies into future powertrains by communication of emissions system and component levels functional requirements to Powertrain engineering and management teams
- Plan, test, analyze, and solve complex system problems as they relate to the entire powertrain system to meet key objectives such as: performance, emissions, diagnostics, NVH, quality, fuel economy, etc.
- Direct/Schedule day-to-day activities of engine/PT dynamometer or vehicle based testing, which may include interaction with technicians and support engineers
- Apply appropriate procedures and methodologies for project management (planning, scheduling, and reporting) to reach project deliverables including use of tools such as: MS Project, Excel, etc.
- Support quality improvement efforts, share lessons learned, and perform benchmarking analysis
- This position will report directly to manager and operate under the general direction of the department senior manager
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Chemical, or Electrical Engineering or a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent from an ABET accredited university
- Minimum of 1 year experience in any of the following: development and calibration of direct injection spark ignition engines, powertrain systems calibration development, OBD calibration, transmission calibration, engine calibration or transmission calibration; or an advanced degree, academic research, or a previous internship/co-op in a related field
- Data acquisition experience collecting and processing data
- MATLAB / SIMULINK experience
- Working knowledge of engine analysis and calibration tools, emissions regulations, engine technologies and competitive products
- Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
- Good teamwork skills and ability to work independently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Experience with Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) proactive engineering methods
- Prior responsibilities in engine and emission calibration
- Prior PT HW release responsibility / experience
- Knowledge of catalyst technologies as it relates to TWC, GPF, HC Traps, EHCs, etc.